Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Channel Load Balancing Protocols Advice Please

jazzman20014
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

What I am attempting to achieve is to aggregate trunk ports out of a VMware server into a single logical connection to give as much bandwidth as possible, the switches are 3750X and are three stacked together with the server connections spread across the stack.

What I am not sure about is if two port channel load balance protocols can happy co-exist on the switch, by default the switch is using MAC address load balancing and Vmware wants to use IP Source load balancing.

As other trunks and channels exist on the switch I don't want to make a change that will affect the other live connections if changing this is a global setting and not local on the channel.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Years ago, some older Cisco switches used to only support src MAC or dest MAC hashing and it was often optimal to use different hashing algorithms on the two switches connected by an Etherchannel (dest MAC toward end hosts, and src MAC from end host; as GW was only a single MAC).  So, unlikely you'll need to consider what hashing algorithm is being used by the VM server when selecting the optimal algorithm on the Cisco switch.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

jazzman20014 wrote:

Hi

What I am attempting to achieve is to aggregate trunk ports out of a VMware server into a single logical connection to give as much bandwidth as possible, the switches are 3750X and are three stacked together with the server connections spread across the stack.

What I am not sure about is if two port channel load balance protocols can happy co-exist on the switch, by default the switch is using MAC address load balancing and Vmware wants to use IP Source load balancing.

As other trunks and channels exist on the switch I don't want to make a change that will affect the other live connections if changing this is a global setting and not local on the channel.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

According to this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp1864309

the port-channel load balance setup is a global option - if you're using src-mac (the default) then you can't assign src-ip to an individual port-channel without affecting all of them.

I'm pretty sure that applies to other switches as well - I remember running into this kind of situation when using 4948-10g switches and having to make a choice.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco