Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Disables Every 10 Minutes

TrustNetworks
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon

I am experiencing the same problem described in this post https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3421454#3421454

I have seen this happen on different networks, with different equipment attached. It happens on both 2960 and 3750 switches.

Basically the connection drops, and we see in the web interface "Port is Disabled". This appears to happen every 10 minutes.

On the CLI, the status shows as connected.

Port      Name               Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type

Fa0/38                       connected    1          a-full  a-100 10/100BaseTX

I have ran cable diagnostics while the drop out is occuring.

Interface Speed Local pair Pair length        Remote pair Pair status

--------- ----- ---------- ------------------ ----------- --------------------

Fa0/38    100M  Pair A     28   +/- 15 meters Pair B      Normal

Pair B     28   +/- 15 meters Pair A      Normal

Pair C     N/A                Pair D      Not Supported

Pair D     N/A                Pair C      Not Supported

During the outage, I see the duplex flucate between full and half. The outage occurs for approx 90 seconds

If I fix the duplex and speed at both ends, the outage reduces to around 30 seconds.

If I apply spanning-tree portfast the outage reduces further to around 10 seconds.

Before I change any configuration on the port, the logs show the interface going down

Aug 16 13:06:51.875: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/38, changed state to down

Aug 16 13:06:52.874: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/38, changed state to down

Aug 16 13:06:55.306: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/38, changed state to up

Aug 16 13:06:56.313: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/38, changed state to up

Aug 16 13:07:28.089: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/38, changed state to down

Aug 16 13:07:30.094: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/38, changed state to up

However, once I apply the configuration nothing is logged. However we can still see the conneciton is disappearing for around 10 seconds.

I suspect the issue wasn't resolved for the person reporting the problem in the link above, but because the outage is minimized, and not being logged it is going unnoticed.

Does anyone know what causes this, or how I can troubleshoot further.

Regards

Paul

31 Replies 31

Hi,

I just ran into the same issue with Canon imageRunner Advance C5250 which was filling up my logs on the switches with basically connecting/disconnecting every minute. It seems that power saving settings also turn off the network interface card of the device. Luckily I have found a nice workaround to change on printer "Sleep Mode Energy Use" from LOW (default value) to HIGH which might consume more power but resolved the network communication issues.

The Canon manual states that there can be network issues related to setting the value to LOW.

I don't understand why this the default setting when Canon is aware of network issues but at least there is a workaround.

Another side effect of this flapping of the port is autonegotiation. I have seen cases that it just negotiated half duplex which caused collisions on the interface, so setting agreed speed and duplex and both ends (printer and switch) is not such a bad idea at all.

Regards,

Hans

ben.hassen
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into this issue with a iR-ADV 6055. I manually set the speed/duplex on both ends, disabled IPv6 on the printer, and removed Voice configuration from the port. It appears to have resolved the issue.

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully it can help someone else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card