Views
Helpful
Replies

port - ip address

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Experts ,

Is there any command where i can see ip address and corresponding port in L3 switch ?

I think sh arp , show mac-address won't give port - ipaddress mapping ...

Thanks,

Satish

3 Replies 3

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Yes, first you must do a sh arp to get the mac, the sh mac gives you the port.

Regards,

Bjornarsb

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Satish

As far as i am aware it is a two step process to work this out. Get the mac to IP addressing and then the mac to port mapping.

It could be scripted with perl/tcl but i don't know of any one command on the switch that would do what you want.

Jon

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

Ping the IP address you want fromt hat switch. Then do a show arp | include xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your IP address). This will give you the mac address. Once you have the mac, you can do a show mac-address-table | incl 1234.1234.1234 (Where 1234.1234.1234 is your mac address). This will then show you which port on the switch the mac-address was learned, and therefore you will be able to trace the IP. If the mac-address has been learned through an uplink port, repeat the show mac-address-table | incl statement, until you find the access port.

Hope this helps

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card