cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port monitoring

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there any possible way of a monitored port (source port) to stop forwarding traffic because either the destination port device was offline or crashed (like Wireshark)?

I need to set up port mirroring for Snort, but I don't know how much traffic I'm going to really see. If it overloads the box that I have it on, I don't want the source to stop sending traffic for any reason.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rducombl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

I suppose you plan to use span on a cisco switch for that. In that scenario source span port will continue to operate normally

no matter whether span destination is up, is connected or is running. You may even set up port mirroring without any span destination it won't impact the traffic.

Roland

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

rducombl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

I suppose you plan to use span on a cisco switch for that. In that scenario source span port will continue to operate normally

no matter whether span destination is up, is connected or is running. You may even set up port mirroring without any span destination it won't impact the traffic.

Roland

Thanks Roland. It works good, and I had to bring the IDS down yesterday while monitoring was going on (just to test). Everything stayed up. :)

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card