cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port not working suddenly on C3560G Switch

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I have a C3560G-48PS running c3560-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEE2.bin and I had two ports just stop working, that I know of. I connected directly to the switchport with a phone and nothing. So I just shutdown the interface and saved and then did a no shutdown on the interface and then it started working again. I also had this happen to a 4506 switch as well with POE modules. I saw no errors on the interfaces, power was good, was not at the limit of power usage and the interface was not err-disabled. Also interfaces right next to them were working fine and they worked fine the day before. Any ideas on what may cause this?

9 Replies 9

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hey, Muchael:

It looks like you really did your homework. I have to say that this has happened to me in the past and I was forced to bounce the port. I didnt give it too much importance unless I had to do it again.

You may have a hardware issue in its budding young stages. I would keep an eye on those ports.

I know I probably didn't drop any gold nuggets on you with this one.... :-)

HTH

Victor

I guess what has me a little baffeled is this happened on two different types of switches. The only simulatity was they are both POE. If you think of anything let me know.

Mike

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

What messages do you see when you do "show log"?

Nothing shows in the Logs for this.

Mike

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have a 3560G-48PS. This means that you can only provide 24 PoE ports. So if you plug in the 25th IP Phone port, it won't work.

Does this make sense to you?

Yes..I already checked that...plus I just move it down to another port and it works fine. I shutdown and no shut on the port nad it works fine. It is almost like the port is hung.

Mike

Has the switch been rebooted? Can you do "sh post"?

No need to reboot because the shut.....no shut....on the interface worked and the interface os now working good. What I want to find out is if someone has had this happen and if there maybe a bug with POE on the catalyst switches. This has happened on a Catalyst 4506 and the 3560 and issuing a shut no shut fixes it. Here is the Show post....

3560G#show post

Stored system POST messages:

Switch 1

---------

POST: CPU MIC PortASIC interface Loopback Tests : End, Status Passed

Mike

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the post Mike.

I had a "similar" experience involving a 3750-E when the switch stoped ALL 48-ports from receiving power. Two other switches on the same stack were chugging away normally. It was a bug in the IOS and, get this, only occurs on brief one thousandth of a second on it's life ... basically, I had the unfortunately luck on getting it.

I reloaded the switch but didn't even thought about doing a shut/no shut. :P

Solved my problem though ... :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card