cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

port security maximum 1

shafi0211
Level 1
Level 1

why is it good or not good to set port security switchport maximum 1 ? 

Someone told me it is not good. Please explain me this.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Think about it:  If you have a phone plugged to the switch and a PC plugged to the phone, what's going to happen?

lets assume we have only one router which is connected on that port ! but my senior told even for this case it is not good idea to assign maximum 1 value. Please explain.

And why would you want to put port security on a trusted appliance like a router?

Thanks for your reply. I am working in data centre. When we provide our feed to client, we should have port security on our end site. My question is about concept that why it is not good idea to have port security max mac address 1. I hope this can clear my scenario.

Unless you want to be in a world of constant pain, "port security max mac address <NUMBER>" is recommended configuration on access port only.  You'd have to be totally cr@zy to stick this command on an 802.1q trunk port.  

I won't spoon-feed you the answer (as I want to let you drive to the conclusion yourself), but if you are in a DC, how many times have you seen a server (configured properly or not) with only one MAC address?  How many have you seen servers with two or more MAC address?

Seriously , by your replies i couldn't get any single knowledgeable thing. I found the answer by myself. So  Please allow others to discuss on my question.  Cheers

Seriously , by your replies i couldn't get any single knowledgeable thing. 

As I've said before, I won't spoon-feed you the answer and I'd like to let you derive to the conclusion yourself.  The answer, as to why it's not good to use the command, is found in my last post.  laugh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card