cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to create L2 vlan on a L3 3750 switch?

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need a L2 switch, all I have are gigabit 3750's, can I create a VLAN on one of these but set it to a L2 mode and not L3?

10 Replies 10

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

By default a 3750 will do no routing. To enable routing on a 3750 you need to enter "ip routing" at the global configuration mode.

Even if you are running IP routing on it, you can still create a L2 network, just go to global config and type "VLAN 27" and VLAN 27 is created.

You can even set the IP address and make it an SVI (switched virtual interface) on VLAN 27, as long as none of your end users are trying to use the SVI IP as a default gateway, and you have proxy-arp disabled, this switch will do no routing, and you can use the IP address to remotely connect and manage the switch.

HTH,

Craig

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

If all you want is to use this switch as a Layer 2 device, then just create your VLANS and assigned interfaces to your VLANS using the commands :-

interface GigabitEthernet0/6

switchport access vlan x

switchport mode access

no ip address

snmp trap link-status

where x is your vlan.

Then add these VLANS to your trunks to other switches and have the Layer 3 drop elsewhere.

Just do not create any SVI 's with IP address attached or allocate any IP's to physical interfaces.

Sorry all I forgot to mention that the switch is being used as a L3 switch for other servers, the L2 VLAN needs to coexist, so as long as the VLAN doesn't have an IP address then all ok?

Yup, that will create a L2 VLAN :)

Craig

Hi

It will be fine to do L2 and L3.

Adam is correct unless you create layer 3 SVI's then it is a layer 2 switch , even if routing is turned on if there are no SVI's created on the 3750 other than the mgt address then it is basically a layer 2 switch.

Thanks, it already has SVI's on it for other servers, I beleive if I create a VLAN with no IP it's a L2 VLAN?

Don't worry about the other SVI's just do not create any for the new VLAN you are going to build out and all will be good.

"Thanks, it already has SVI's on it for other servers, I beleive if I create a VLAN with no IP it's a L2 VLAN?"

That is correct.

Yes

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco