Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Power budget for 3750X-48T-S

Hi all

We setup two switches WS-C3750X-48T-S, each has a 350W power supply. I connected the power stack cable in the default mode, means I have a total of 700W power available. When I check the datasheet I can see that one switch uses 120W (weighted average). Therefore I would say it would be sufficient if one power supply fails, the two switches still should be online.

I am wondering when I run the command "show stack-power" that I have a power budget of 223. Now, when I test it and I power off one device, I still have both switches running but the log messages appears that the stack run under the budget.

Does anybody knows why there is a value of 223W (and not 120W) and if this is ok from a redundancy point of view to have only one 350W power supply per switch, so that it is no problem to run both switches even if one power supply fails?

Thank you

Markus

2 REPLIES
Silver

Hi,

While the Data Sheets list the actual power consumption of the standalone switches, the "power budget" reflects the value set up by Cisco IOS for a switch power allocation within the Cisco StackPower. For your box the value has been set up exactly as 223W since 12.2(55)SE software release (it was 206W earlier) as you can clearly see from the Table 1 of the document beneath:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-578931.html

To learn more about the power calculation for the Cisco StackPower and the Cat3750-X switches plese see the other document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10745/white_paper_c11-663717.html#wp9000043

Best regards,

Antonin

Hello Antonin

Thank you very much for your reply. For me it makes sense if I have 223W budget for the whole stack. But then I also have 700W power reserving for the whole stack, as long each switch has one power supply with 350W.

I ran a test again, I can disconnect one power cable, the stack continues to run fine. How ever, the failed switch will generate a warning that there is not enough budget available. But there is still a power supply with 350W running, which can cover the two switches.

For me this is ok, I just wanted to confirm that it is enough to have one 350W power supply in each switch, to have the power supply redundancy. Even if I got a warning caused by not enough power budget, as long both switches continues to run when one power supply fails, this ok ok.

Thank you

Markus

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content