Views
Helpful
Replies

ppp and frame relay

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

suppose we have router"R1" with integrated T1 card.

R1--------------frame relay switch at CO

ppp protocol is used to connect R1 to frame relay switch. My questions are:

1)Does " data field" in ppp header contain " frame relay frame" ? if yes then what " type" field in ppp header contains ?

Thanks a lot!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

I am a bit confused about your question. If R1 is connected to a frame relay switch at CO then why would the router not have encapsulation frame-relay? why would it try ppp encapsulation?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Sarah

There are many protocols which support point to point serial connections. It is certainly not limited to ppp. The common solution when a router is connected to a frame relay switch by T1 is to use encapsulation frame relay on the serial link. The data link protocol is Frame Relay.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Sarah

Yes. That is the common way of doing it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

I am a bit confused about your question. If R1 is connected to a frame relay switch at CO then why would the router not have encapsulation frame-relay? why would it try ppp encapsulation?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks a lot for your reply!

i was reading my book , it says r1 is connected by T1 to frame relay switch. Since this is the point to point connection between frame relay switch and r1, i assume ppp must be used to carry frame relay as pay load. Could you please explain how the router is connected to frame relay switch? what data link protocol is used between the router and frame relay switch?

thanks a lot!

Sarah

There are many protocols which support point to point serial connections. It is certainly not limited to ppp. The common solution when a router is connected to a frame relay switch by T1 is to use encapsulation frame relay on the serial link. The data link protocol is Frame Relay.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick! So R1 simply encapsulates ip packet in frame relay frame and forwards it to frame relay switch?

Sarah

Yes. That is the common way of doing it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks a lot Rick!

Sarah

You are quite welcome. When you do not have the experience of having done it, some of these concepts are a bit hard to understand.

I am pleased to see the increase in your understanding in your continuing posts to the forum.

Thanks for the ratings.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

by the way

some times frame relay over PPP is useful wen:

u want have some authentication as frame relay lack to this feature with FR over PPP u can hav authentication through chap or pap

also if you want to hav multiline topology

with FR over PPPmultilinke you can do it as well

Hope this helps as well :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card