Views
Helpful
Replies

primary secondary syslog

amit bhatnagar
Level 1
Level 1

hello ,

We have multiiple syslog server in our network , I was adding 6509 switch to send logs to these server .

I want to configure them in primary secondary mode  cant find command to make one syslog primary and second secondary . as I dont want to send logs to secondary syslog when primary is avaiable

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amit

I don't think you can do this. I think you have to send the syslog messages to both servers.

In fact this would be what you want. Imagine if the main syslog server crashed and you needed to see the logs before and after the server crashed. If you set it up the way you want then the secondary server would only have syslog messages after the primary server had crashed so you would not get the full picture.

I appreciate it means more network traffic but it would better, in my opinion, to have both syslog servers logging all messages all of the time.

Jon

View solution in original post

Amit

Yes, you should use the -

"logging "

for each syslog server you have and the 6500 should send the messages to both servers.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amit

I don't think you can do this. I think you have to send the syslog messages to both servers.

In fact this would be what you want. Imagine if the main syslog server crashed and you needed to see the logs before and after the server crashed. If you set it up the way you want then the secondary server would only have syslog messages after the primary server had crashed so you would not get the full picture.

I appreciate it means more network traffic but it would better, in my opinion, to have both syslog servers logging all messages all of the time.

Jon

Jerald Simon M.
Level 1
Level 1

Is it requirement, why because if primary fail it will send to secondary and primary come back it will send primary. ..so half of log will there in primary and half will have secondary...I dont know is there any mechanism to synch primary and secondary syslog..
But You can achieve with help of EEM with sla

thanks for reply , I understood that idea was not right , I have one more query

so if I put config as below , it will send the logs all the time(if they are avaiable ) to primary and secondary servers right ?

logging primary server

logging secondary server

Amit

Yes, you should use the -

"logging "

for each syslog server you have and the 6500 should send the messages to both servers.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card