Views
Helpful
Replies

Private VLAN Trunks

schimeha1977
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

I am trying to connect a non-pvlan-capable Switch (HP BladeSwitch, 3548XL) to a C3560-E using the PVLAN Edge Feature on the BladeSwitch & 3548XL.

According to the documentation the following commands should be available for trunking the switches.

Switch(config)# interface fastethernet 5/2 

Switch(config-if)# switchport mode private-vlan trunk secondary

Switch(config-if)# switchport private-vlan trunk native vlan 10

Switch(config-if)# switchport private-vlan trunk allowed vlan 10. 3-4

Switch(config-if)# switchport private-vlan association trunk 3 301

On my 3560E I can not execute these commands:

(config-if)#switchport mode private-vlan ?  

host         Set the mode to private-vlan host

promiscuous  Set the mode to private-vlan promiscuous

Is there another recommended way in order to connect non-pvlan-capable switches to a PVLAN environment ?

thx  !

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Sadly, the special PVLAN trunk types (promiscuous, isolated) are available only starting with 4500 series switches. Lower switching platforms do not support them.

You are unfortunately quite limited in your options currently. You could configure your 3560E port towards the 3548XL as an isolated access port (placed into the isolated secondary PVLAN). However, that would eliminate the ability to use multiple VLANs/PVLANs on the 3548XL or HP BladeSwitch. Using a classic trunk on the 3560E would not work at all because special 802.1Q tag rewrites are necessary that would not be performed. Other than that, there is nothing more I am aware of that could be done. Sorry about that.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card