Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

problem changing servers

cisco router 2651XM

IOS:  c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T9.bin

16 port switch module NM-16ESW fitted.

I have a web/email server (server A) plugged into the switch module in my router and sometimes I need to turn this server off and turn on a duplicate/replacement server (server B) which uses the same ip addresses but is connected to a different port (still in the switch module). Naturally I don't run them both at the same time. Problem is when server B comes on none of the web or email services work. I have a hunch the router 'remembers' the port where server A is and sticks to that port. I find that rebooting the router sorts it out but maybe there's an easier solution...? I need to make the router 'forget' server A and pick up server B. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: problem changing servers

Tony

Have you tried clearing the arp table on the router and the mac-address table on the switch ? ie.

clear arp

clear mac-address-table dynamic interface

Jon

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Tony

Have you tried clearing the arp table on the router and the mac-address table on the switch ? ie.

clear arp

clear mac-address-table dynamic interface

Jon

jon the commands you gave did not work but they did set me on the right path and I eventually cracked it. I fiddled around with variations of your commands and the command that worked is:

clear ip route

once I ran that all the services on server B started to work. Thanks for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content