Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem on a cisco switch 2950 - reload and boot failure

MahdiJaK13
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I've got a big problem I can't solve on a cisco switch 2950.

This morning, I've got to configure an already used switch 2950. There's a password nobody can remember. I try to follow the way I saw on the cisco website on how to erase the password on a switch. But I must have made an error. Here's what I did.

In user mode ( switch> ), I hold on a few seconds on the mode button. Some led started to blink a few seconds. When the Start led goes green and the Syst led goes on blinking amber, I hold back the mode button. On hyperterminal, there were a few sentences :

00:10:29: %EXPRESS_SETUP-6-CONFIG_IS_RESET: The configuration is reset and the s

ystem will now reboot

00:10:30: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested

I waited more than 5 minutes but nothing happened and the switch didn't reload. So I power off the switch and after a few seconds I power it up.

But the swith didn't react as I wanted. There's no more prompt on Hyper Terminal, there's nothing writing on the screen and the switch didn't react when I stroke the keyboard (space or enter or ctrl+break, ...). The Syst Led blinks amber and the Stat Led is green. When I plug on an ethernet cable from a computer, the led is amber.

Do you have any idea on way to bring the switch back to life ?

Best regards

3 Replies 3

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hi!

Please try the following

1. Connect a console cable with the following terminal settings:

Bits per second (baud): 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow Control: Xon/Xoff

2. Unplug the power cable.

3. Hold down the mode button located on the left side of the front panel, while you reconnect the power cable to the switch

If you have a prompt continue with the regular password reset procedure...if not reply here.

Cheers,

Calin

try calin suggestion and if it doesnt work, try increasing the Bits per second (baud) to 19200

francisco.

Good morning,

Thank you for the tips but in fact, the switch is only in "bad health"

I let it rest one night. THe next day, I simply plug it back on power, and it works again and don't ask any password. So I "play" with it, configure it and save the configuration. Then I do a reload and the switch go back in the state it was last day. So it can't complete any reload. I will ask cisco support what to do!

Thank you again for the consideration and the tips

Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card