Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Problem tracking down port usage.

Hi All,

I had a problem today with a Catalyst 3750 (100mb Version) that is connected via a single uplink to a stack of Gigabit 3750's, the uplink is a trunk (802.1q) default settings, no vlan pruning, both switches are in the same VTP Domain and the management interface is in a common vlan.

All devices on the 100Mb 3750 we're either loosing packets or reporting response times of >50ms, upon examination of the uplink between the switches I found the below:

5 minute input rate 98508000 bits/sec, 8941 packets/sec (Based on my calculations this is 92Mb/11.5MB/s which would saturate a 100Mb link).
5 minute output rate 63000 bits/sec, 47 packets/sec

That's the output from the 100Mb 3750 side of the link the output from the Gigabit Core (Stack) is as below:

5 minute input rate 60000 bits/sec, 60 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 98093000 bits/sec, 8888 packets/sec

My question is how in future can I find out easily what's generating the bandwidth? I went through every interface on the 100Mb 3750 and the 5 minute input/output rate for all interfaces was nothing like that of what was flowing through the uplink.

Is it just a case of getting some network monitoring software to monitor input/output of each interface or is there a smart way of tracking down the heavy users/generators of traffic?

Obviously with the trunk carrying all Vlan's I suppose it's possible that a machine in a given Vlan was generating a large amount of broadcast traffic that was going up/down the link.

I presume pruning unused Vlan's from the link would be a prudent idea going foward to recude uncessary traffic to that switch? Manual or Automatic pruning?

Kind Regards,

Duncan.

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Problem tracking down port usage.

An easy way to look at the per port utilization % on a 3750 is to use the "show controllers utilization " command which will give per port utilization in a easy to look at format  and you can see if any 1 port may be driving that utilization .

Re: Problem tracking down port usage.

Hi Glen,

That sounds like just want I need for getting at a glance heavy users per-port, trouble is on the 3750's we're running the command isn't available.

sh controllers is but utilisation is not an option/sub-option.

I presume it was implemented in a later IOS release?

Currently running: C3750-i9-mz.122-20.SE4.bin

Cheers,

Views
Helpful
Replies