Helpful
Replies

Problem with Core switch and distribution switches

Heba Ghonamy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I hope any one can help me in this issue :

we have core switch 3750 connect with 14 distribution switches 2960 with 2 uplink each , 3 switch work on speed 100 when i change one to 1000 i notice a strange behavoir in the enviroment the switch goes up and down and i cann't stop them

5 Replies 5

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

When this happens do you see any logs, errors, high cpu or any issues like that? Also what do you mean by the switch goes up and down?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
we have core switch 3750 connect with 14 distribution switches 2960 with 2 uplink each , 3 switch work on speed 100 when i change one to 1000 i notice a strange behavoir in the enviroment the switch goes up and down and i cann't stop them

There could be two reasons to this behaviour:

1.  Faulty cable; or

2.  Cable run > 100 metres.

From the 3750, try to run a TDR test.

Heba Ghonamy
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Leo Solano & Leo Laohoo the problem was with STP when i shutdown the port-channel of the uplinks to the coreswitch

the problem was with STP when i shutdown the port-channel of the uplinks to the coreswitch

This does not make any sense.  STP does NOT change the speed of your links.  Besides, how is your uplink configured and why does your uplink have STP enabled? 

When i change the speed of the port-channel first i shutdown the port-channel that make all the edge switches go up and down which make me restore the configuration and start again without shutting the pot-channel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card