Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Local routing on switch

Yannick Vranckx
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

We have a customer with a Cisco 3750x switch stack on site.

He plugged his laptop in the following port:

Int Gi1/0/20

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 100

spanning-tree portfast

The device he is trying to reach is on the same switch but a different port in a different vlan (VLAN 199), there are trunks present that have access to the 2 vlans. Launching a ping is a straight success

The device he has: 10.1.0.190

Destination: 10.1.99.30

When he tries a HTTP request, it fails.  When we do a tracert from his laptop to 10.1.99.30

- 10.1.0.190 (himself)

- 10.1.0.2 (resides in vlan 100)

- 10.1.0.223 (resides in vlan 100)

- 10.0.253.1 (vlan 53) Vlan 53 is a layer 3 transit OSPF between the sites on subnet 10.0.253.8/30

- 10.1.99.30 (Destination in vlan 199)

This does not pass any known firewalls, any reason why he matches this OSPF route on a HTTP request of the same switch and why the request would breakdown.

4 Replies 4

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Logon to the device that is doing the intervlan routing and do a #show ip route 10.1.99.0

It will show you the next hop address and where it has learned this route from.

Logon to the next hop listed and do the same.

If the same L3 switch has the Routable Interface for both Vlans (i.e thier default gateways) then the next hop should show a connected route.

If not, post a quick sketch of the topology for us.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, i will give this a go

The weird thing is when he starts the traceroute from his address (10.1.0.190) his first hop is not the default gateway, (it should be 10.1.0.1) and he hits 10.1.0.2.

I have done the traceroute from the cisco switch itself and it reaches the destination in 1 hop. The 10.1.99.0 network is directly connected aswell to the switch.

Regards,

Is the default gateway correct on the users pc ???

I would agree with Glen on this one, check the default gateway on the users machine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card