cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with subinterface connectivity

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

How do I get connectivity between a switch and a router using inter-Vlan switching and "router-on-a-stick"? I set up the VLANs, the trunk port, and the sub-interfaces yet still no connectivity.

---

Posted by WebUser Joshua Caleb Levell

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not much to go on . Please post the router config and the switch config and indicate the link ports. 

ebarticel
Level 4
Level 4

I think you should remove the IP address on physical interface, make sure your router has a Fast Ethernet port (router-on-a-stick works only on fast ethernet) and use "no shutdown" on physical interface.

hope it helps

Eugen

Joshua

I agree with Glen that we do not have enough information to work with to be able to give you much in the way of answers. From the little description that you give us the problem could be:

- the VLANs on the switch are not correctly configured. Posting the output of show vlan from the switch would be a good starting point and posting the complete configuration of the switch would be even better.

- the trunk on the switch is not correctly configured. Posting the output of show interface trunk from the switch would be a good starting point in understanding this aspect of the problem.

- the port of the switch might not be correctly connected to the router. Posting the output of show cdp neighbor from the switch would be a good starting point in understanding this aspect of the problem.

- the cable connecting the switch to the router might be faulty. Posting the output of show interface from the switch and from the router might be a good starting point in understanding this aspect of the problem.

- trunking on the interface of the router might not be correct. Posting the configuration of the router interface and subinterfaces would be the best way to help us understand this aspect of the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

i figured it out almost immediately after this post. The encapsulation dot1q ID's had to match across the network. And (I'm a rookie at this) I didn't have the native vlan on the trunk configured. Thank you for the willingness to help. I will definitely keep this site in mind for future networking problems. Now I also know what to post if I have a question. Thank you from the Marine Corps Networking Community.

---

Posted by WebUser Joshua Caleb Levell

Please mark to question as answered

Thanxs

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card