cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems configuring an 857

mhollings
Level 1
Level 1

We currently connect to the internet using a draytek 2600 router and its starting to become quite unreliable. I am not entirely sure how it is currently configured as our ISP password protects the router.

I am off on my hols in a week or so and have purchased a Cisco 857 adsl router which I would like to configure to replace the draytek prior to my departure but I am struggling. I have managed to get the SDM software installed to the 857 and have got some way in getting it configured but I am now getting stuck.

On the network here all internet traffic passes through a Watchguard Firebox X700 and then to/from the draytek router.

I have the IP address and password from my ISP and it seems that the router connects to the ISP ok but cannot then browse the internet etc or even access the 857 when it is swapped out for the draytek.

The internal i/f on the Firebox is 192.168.1.1/24 and the external is xxx.xxx.xxx.42/29. Now this then brings in another problem. Currently the Draytek seems to have the same xxx.xxx.xxx.41 ip address assigned to both internal and external interfaces, can I do the same on the 857 and if so how?

If I try and put say xxx.xxx.xxx.43 as the ethernet interface on the 857 it complains tha tthe address overlaps with that of the external dialer0

If I try and put say xxx.xxx.xxx.43 as the ethernet interface on the 857 it complains tha tthe address overlaps with that of the external dialer0

The watchguard NATs from 192.168.1.1/24 to static ip XXX.XXX.XXX.42/29 with the default gateway being XXX.XXX.XXX.41. It is also the organisations VPN server and all remote sites currently connect to the xxx.xxx.xxx.42 interface on the watchguard so I don't wish to reconfigure the whole lot if avoidable. All I want to do is configure the 857 so that I can remove the less reliable draytek 2600.

1 Reply 1

mhollings
Level 1
Level 1

Diagramatically this is it

192.168.1.0 <-> 192.168.1.1 <-> x.x.x.42/29 <-> x.x.x.41/29

Network<-->Firebox/NAT<-->857<-->Internet

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card