Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems of implementation of the basic Spanning Tree (802.1d) Catalyst 2960 SI

danilosm_br_se
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

I have a problem of implementation of Cisco Catalyst 2960 switches in relation to the Spanning Tree (802.1d) in the current topology of the network that currently contains other switches from different manufacturers as HP3COM

When Using Spanning Tree implementations with Cisco switches and HP3COM in the same topology switches feature Cisco malfunction accusing looping in the network where there is no such problem

I'm studying hard in order to implement the Spanning Tree network

The network topology is somewhat large and complex

Currently the network is undergoing a change in every line of active elements for which the topology has only elements of Cisco

In this moment it is still necessary the coexistence of two manufacturers in the topology (HP3COM and Cisco)

Someone could at least spend some idea of ​​compatibility between the operation of Spanning Tree (802.1d) of Cisco switches and other manufacturers?

Thanks for attention

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kevin P Sheahan
Level 5
Level 5

I don't believe that PVST(+) or MST are options for interoperability reasons. I've had success with RSTP between Cisco and Adtran/3COM devices.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

**Please remember to rate helpful posts as well as mark the question as 'answered' once your issue is resolved. This will help others to find your solution faster.

Kind Regards, Kevin Sheahan, CCIE # 41349

View solution in original post

PVST+ and PVRST+ are Cisco standards only.

You will have to use RSTP.

MST was MISTP which was Cisco only but MST is now IEEE standard but it may still have issues when used on Cisco with other devices. I would stick to RSTP.

Mike

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Kevin P Sheahan
Level 5
Level 5

I don't believe that PVST(+) or MST are options for interoperability reasons. I've had success with RSTP between Cisco and Adtran/3COM devices.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

**Please remember to rate helpful posts as well as mark the question as 'answered' once your issue is resolved. This will help others to find your solution faster.

Kind Regards, Kevin Sheahan, CCIE # 41349

PVST+ and PVRST+ are Cisco standards only.

You will have to use RSTP.

MST was MISTP which was Cisco only but MST is now IEEE standard but it may still have issues when used on Cisco with other devices. I would stick to RSTP.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike

Thanks for the info Kevin

danilosm_br_se
Level 1
Level 1

Well apparently I will implement a basic lab using a Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch and another switch HP3Com 4500 and check the compatibility of a basic implementation with RSTP (802.1w)

I'll post some implementation details of the laboratory so that you can track

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card