cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problems with connectivity in the LAN - suggestions welcome

kbutalla
Level 1
Level 1

many users can't access email(outlook) on one switch. They can ping the server. Users can access other applications on same switch. Users on many switches. each switch is a different vlan & all are trunked through a 6506. Other users on the same switches are o.k. can move device to another switch and it works. Rebooted pretty much everything (not the 6506). Any clues???

4 Replies 4

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Karen, from what you are discribing the problem seems to be unique from that one switch, few users on that one switch and outlook? check the questioned switch cpu utilization when the problem occurs , check uplinks ports as well.

When you said rebooted everything but not 6506 are you saying rebooted all the access switches connected to CORE or just that one switch?

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

We rebooted the server and the switch and several switches we thought might be causing the problem and nothing seemed to matter.

We found the problem. We had etherchannels using hsrp and the PCs in question were using one of the IPs for a vlan that had an access list preventing port 153. The other PCs were using other ports (I imagine because of the load balancing technique). We didn't need that access-list any longer and removed it and everything worked. What we don't know is why this all of a sudden occurred, as this has been this way for 2 years. Did outlook all of a sudden use this port? I don't know. But I can now go on vacation....

Karen, thanks for posting the update/solution.

Jorge Rodriguez
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card