Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Procedure to remove 6500 modules

Hi there,

I want to remove FWSM and IDS modules from 6500.I will do in non-business day (maintenance day).But there is configuration related to both FWSM and IDS modules. Can I remove configs after shutting down chassis then physically removing modules? Or I must do removing configuration related to modules after physically removing them? What is the recommendation best practice here...Actually,I have no any experience for this case.

Thanks in advance,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You don't need to remove the configuration , the modules in a 6500 are OIR online insertion removal and it can be done while the chassis is powered up and in operation fully

sometime if you remove specific modules the config gets removed anyway , so I would remove the module first out of the chassis , check the show mod after make sure everything is still ok and show logs too , then if there is still config there you can remove it

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You don't need to remove the configuration , the modules in a 6500 are OIR online insertion removal and it can be done while the chassis is powered up and in operation fully

sometime if you remove specific modules the config gets removed anyway , so I would remove the module first out of the chassis , check the show mod after make sure everything is still ok and show logs too , then if there is still config there you can remove it

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have recently seen that there is module clear-config command in global configuration mode and must be applied before removing module.

What does this command exactly do? Is it needed when removing FWSM or IDS modules either?

regards,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

You can use that command if you want but its not a requirement or prerequisite

Never used that command and im years removing modules from chassis and removing invalid config after , that may make it quicker for you through removing the config , usually when im replacing modules there failed blades

If a module is physically removed and the configuration is not needed anymore, then apply the module clear-config command from the global configuration mode before you physically remove the module.

Note: The module clear-config command is currently available only in Cisco Catalyst 6500/6000 Series Switches.

Note: The command works when applied before you remove the module.

Thanks,as I understand I don't need do anything before removing the module.Just power chassis off and then remove the module.

I am confused relating to configuration.Is it true that module clear-config will remove these commands? Or these commands will be removed automatically,but module clear-config does another thing?

firewall switch 1 module 3 vlan-group 1

firewall multiple-vlan-interfaces

intrusion-detection switch 1 module 4 management-port access-vlan 10
intrusion-detection switch 2 module 4 management-port access-vlan 10
intrusion-detection switch 1 module 4 data-port 1 capture
intrusion-detection switch 2 module 4 data-port 1 capture
intrusion-detection switch 1 module 4 data-port 1 autostate include
intrusion-detection switch 1 module 4 data-port 1 capture allowed-vlan 100,101
intrusion-detection switch 2 module 4 data-port 1 capture allowed-vlan 100,101

regards,

HTH,

Wow why are you powering off the chassis , the whole point of having a 6500 with OIR is it can be done in production while live , it does not need to be powered off at all that's the point of the feature , only on lower end switches where youa hve modules inserted are they not OIR or smaller routers , but the bigger chassis based units have these features for that reason

it will remove any config related to the module you pulled that's what its supposed to do , as I haven't tested it with a FWSM I cant say exactly which lines of config it will remove ,  but if it you use it and it doesn't remove everything , manually remove it , you have a switch 2 there in your config if your VSS though you don't want to remove the config for the other switch only the switch your actually pulling the module form

We will do in maintenance day,so we want to totally power chassis off.

Yes,we have 2 switches bundled to VSS.

Okey,I understood...we will try just remove modules after powering off)

thanks for you answers,

HTH,

oh ok cool yes if you have the option do it powered down better option just sometimes impossible to get the downtime on core systems , good luck

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card