Views
Helpful
Replies

proper disabling VTP on switches

atryaskin-r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All.

I have a network with about 20 catalyst 3750 switches connected with each other with 'ring' topology. And all of them is in one VTP domain. One switch is acting as a VTP server and others are VTP clients. Now i need completely remove VTP from my network without stopping network traffic and tearing network connectivity.

I think i just can set all switches to VTP Server mode BUT i'm not sure. Can anybody help me how to proper remove VTP from network without interruption of services to my customers?

12 Replies 12

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

VTP will be disabled once you set all switches to Transparent mode.

check this URL to get more information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805a6519.html#wp1035326

HTH, rate if it does ...

When i put switch in VTP client mode to VTP transparent mode i'm loosing connectivity with this switch. I think it deletes all vlans that it learns from server and that's why i'm loosing connection with this switch.

Hi,

Don't set all your switches to VTP server mode!! That could be catastrophic!!! Why do you want to do that? Don't you want the VLAN info to propogate from your VTP server to other switches?? Dont you want the VLANs to be replicated at every access switch??

And even if you want to completely remove VTP from your network, in my opinion you should run all your switches in 'transparent' mode then.

Refer the following link for more on VTP -->

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml

Hope this helps...

Regards,

AbhisheK

Please rate all helpful posts!!!

thank you, but see my previous reply to sourabhagarwal's post, please.

Hi,

Can you let me know how are your switches connected to each other, that is by what medium??

Vlans shouldnt delete when you change the VTP configuration from 'client' to 'transparent'. Have you configured proper trunk links between the switches?

Moreover, you have'nt told us what exactly are you trying to do, as in why are you trying to remove VTP, that way maybe we can help you out in a better manner.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

AbhisheK

Switches connected to each other in ring topology by single mode optical fiber connections. Trunks configured with all vlans permitted on them.

...---|3750|---(fiber)---|3750|---(fiber)---|3750|---...

and the last switch connected to first. So it is a ring with MSTP running on it.

We need to remove VTP because on some this switches we need to use private vlans and they must not propagated to the network. And there is other limitations to VTP so we can't use it on our ISP network.

Hi,

Can you check that the "show vlan" command output on the switch which loses its connectivity when you change the VTP mode has all the VLANs which you want on that switch.

If not, then maybe you need to propogate the VLANs once before you change the VTP mode.

Hope this helps..

Regards,

AbhisheK

I can't do it now, because i manage all switches remotely and they are far away from me :) and i can't create vlan's on the switch because it is in VTP client mode.

So i think i must load previously prepared startup config for switches, start shedulled reload on them and then change VTP mode.

Hi,

I didnt ask you to create VLANs on switch. Just check that on the switch on which you lose connection after changing the VTP mode, the output of "show vlan" has the vlans required by you.

Hope you got what I meant...

Regards,

AbhisheK

senglobe0907
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Try to copy running config to startup in the switch which is in cliant mode, then make it as transparent mode. hope you will not loose connection this time.

Regards

Senthil

i don't understand how 'wr mem' can help in this situation?

yeah,first use "wr mem" then try to change the switch mode to transparent

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card