Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Pros of MPLS

What are the Pros and Cons for implementing MPLS on a local LAN? I've gone through MPLS in my CCNP studies and MPLS is used mostly on service provider networks. I run a network of 3000 PC's a 2500 IP phones spread across a medium size city with 90% of my locations connected by fiber, what benefits would i gain by implementing MPLS?

• LAN Switching and Routing
11 REPLIES

Re: Pros of MPLS

There is no reason that I can think of for why you would want to run MPLS in your local LAN.

I should add I have a physically separated network for the Public Library, would MPLS allow me to securely combine this network with the larger internal employee network cutting my equipment cost?

Maybe. What is your security policy? Is it OK that you peer your network an ISP? What are your bandwidth requirements? Would a point-2-point T1 circuit be enough? What is the distance between the two networks? Could you run fiber to connect them?

my security policy doesn't address peering with an ISP i would have to say no if there no real need, secondly internal bandwidth requirements range based on who you ask. 1 gig between buildings has served well so far, and the answer to the last question yes the two networks are close so i could connect them with fiber.

I would connect them via fiber; high bandwidth, no ISP involvement, better security options, low interference, etc.

so connect the networks and seprate them with a ASA of a simple router, and secure with ACLs? i would need to readdress one of the network at that point right?

...Just a recap MPLS is a NO_GO too.

No to MPLS. A firewall is a good idea. If you have overlapping address space, you could either re-address as you mentioned or use NAT on the firewall.

Thanks you've been a great help and your ratings reflect it ;-)

Glad to help and appreciate the points!

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.