cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Putting PoE line cards into an existing 4506 (older version)

CiscoRunner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have a number of existing 4506 chassis type switches (the older non -E version) that I would like to roll out IP phones to. Instead of replacing the entire chassis, I would like to just replace the line cards in the switches with WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V.

I am wondering, if 1. there is any issues known regarding doing this, and 2. What or how much power supplies should I have in each switch to be able to power the 5 poe line cards (each port per line card will power an ip phone)?

Thanks in Advance for the assistance.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Use the power calculator to figure the amount of power your need for the entire system.  You also need to know the type of Sup you are using and if the module is supported with that Sup.

have a look:

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/

HTH

In addition to the above:

The specific cards requires Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(18)EW or later as specified in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/modules/ps2710/ps5494/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea_ps4324_Products_Data_Sheet.html

There is no requirement for an E-chassis and hence it should work with most supervisor modules.

regards,

Leo

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There is any issues known regarding doing this, and 2. What or how much power supplies should I have in each switch to be able to power the 5 poe line card

I'd consider upgrading your chassis to the "R+E" series.  5 cards of WS-X4548 can have serious complications in regards to over-subscription.

hi Leolaohoo,

can you please explain what you mean by 'serious' issues with over-subscription?

Do Cisco recommend putting these line cards into the 4506 switches?

Anyone any further advice?

I am trying to decide whether to purchase entire new switches (C4506-E PoE)  which obviously will be addtitional cost or to just upgrade the line cards to PoE?

In the long term, I am thinking maybe it would be better to upgraed the chassis also...

Sorry for the late response.  Been busy at work.

Anyway ... You stated in your opening post that you have a "non-E" 4500 chassis.  Based on the supervisor card, the backplane slot has the speed of 6Gbps (half duplex).  This is the amount of traffic each slot can "shove down the pipe" towards the supervisor.

So, if you have a 48-port, Gig card your oversubscription rate is 16:1.

This is the reason why I recommend you upgrade your chassis to an "R+E".  Look at the Chassis Model Comparison sheet. 

Remember, if you have a R+E chassis, in order for you to have a 48 Gbps is when you have a Sup7E card. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card