Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Putty Terminal Emulator (www.omnisecu.com)

ON one website of CCNA Tutorial, I have read that you can use PUTTY software to connect to Router using Crossover cable. As far as I Know Putty is SSH Client. So, do we have to configure Routers as SSH Server ?

4 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

You don't need to.  Putty can do both SSH and telnet

HTH

Putty gives you three connection options.  SSH, Telnet and Serial.  If you choose serial and you are connected via a rollover cable to your console port, you will be able to console it.

It is quite useful when your company just upgraded to Windows 7 which doesn't include Hyperterminal anymore.

Purple

Tera Term or Putty are your best bets as far as serial emulators .  I have always used TT  as it just works and is easy to use .  If you are using a newer laptop most don't have serial ports anymore so you will need a USB converter to for a console connection.

Silver

Muhammad Haseeb wrote:

ON one website of CCNA Tutorial, I have read that you can use PUTTY software to connect to Router using Crossover cable. As far as I Know Putty is SSH Client. So, do we have to configure Routers as SSH Server ?

The most recent versions of PuTTY also do serial.

Although I tend to use Tera Term for serial (or if I need logging), PuTTY for telnet/SSH connections

Cheers.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content