cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pvst to rapid-pvst and hsrp convergence time?

gavin han
Level 1
Level 1

current our gateways (6500 switches) are running pvst, we have to change it to rapid-pvst,i also have to update stp root, so that sw-1 is root for odd vlans and sw-2 is root for even vlans. what will be convergence time for pvst -> rapind-pvst & spanning tree root changes? we have to update hsrp priority as well. what will be convergence time for hsrp?

should i change it to rapid-pvst and udpate spanning-tree root 1st and than update hsrp priority for SVIs or do all at the same time?

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't have a lot of vlans, it is easier if you make one device the root and the same device hsrp active for all vlans and not divide them by odd and even.  If you want to divide them by odd and even you need to make for example sw-1 the root and active hsrp for odd vlans and sw-2 the root and active hsrp for the even vlans. As for how long it takes to converge, it should not take very long, but you would need an outage window to do this in case something goes wrong and you need to troubleshoot and/or revert back.  I would do one task at the time, test and then the other one and test again.

HTH

Thanks. would 60 seconds be enough outage window for rapid-pvst, spanning-tree root, hsrp change? access switches are already running rapid-pvst so i just need to do core switches. it's our standard to make sw-1 root and hsrp active for even vlans and sw-2 for odd vlans.

Hello

I would suggest do the access layer first and work you way up to the cores and not to forget to arrange an outage window for the changes

Pleas review this - very helpful -  cco doc

Res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You might want to read: http://blog.ine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/understanding-stp-rstp-convergence.pdf

If you're moving active gateways with HSRP priorities, gateway "convergence time" will be somewhat a non-issue.  Clients won't see a change.  I believe the priority change will start with the next HSRP hello.  Also, don't forget moving gateways with priority may require using the preempt option.

If you're going to load balance odd/even VLANs, you might want to look at using GLBP instead.

Also, when you have multiple gateway on different L3 switches, you can create unicast flooding issues, so beware.

If you're setting active gateway device to be STP root, you'll likely also want to set standby gateway as secondary root.  Actually, as long as your (pair?) 6500s are configured as primary and secondary root, you may not really have to do them by VLAN odd/even (alined with active gateway).  What you want to avoid is some edge switch becoming the root.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card