Views
Helpful
Replies

PXE Boot for Ghost accross multiple Vlan's

bavingtonm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have recently setup a campus network which uses 2 x 3750G-12s switches for core/dist. I have seperate vlans configured for each stack of access switches accross the building. All tacks have different IP subnets configured.

10.217.6.0/24

10.217.7.0/24

10.217.8.0/24

and so on..

I have also configured a DHCP server on the top access switch in each stack, so it assigns the hosts an IP instead of getting it from a win DHCP.

How can I get PXE boot on LAN to work accross several vlans/subnet's when configured this way??

Please help!!

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Mark,

>> what IP helper address would I put in?

The ghost server IP?

Yes the ghost server IP

We do so and it works in our network

Where are your DHCP servers doesn't matter but they have to be available in order to provide an ip address to the PC booting on LAN.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mark,

in our network we use to add an ip helper-address pointing to the ip address of the server. We have MS RIS servers and PCs are then booted from LAN: they first find the DHCP server and get the ip address then they look for the server.

It is what you need to do for performing DHCP relay the original broadcast is sent with a unicast destination to the server.

ip helper-address x.x.x.x on each SVI vlan interface. multiple commands are allowed.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi

Thanks for the info, could you please just clarify a couple of things?

As each vlan has a a seperate DHCP server configured on the top switch of every stack, for every vlan, what IP helper address would I put in?

The ghost server IP?

As like I said tyhe DHCP is configured in IOS on 2960G switches, will this still be possible?

Thanks

Mark

Hello Mark,

>> what IP helper address would I put in?

The ghost server IP?

Yes the ghost server IP

We do so and it works in our network

Where are your DHCP servers doesn't matter but they have to be available in order to provide an ip address to the PC booting on LAN.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: