Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Q about C6500 images (and names)

Hi all,

I have a C6513 system that is in hybrid mode (SE = CatOS 8.2(2) and RP = IOS 12.1(22)E1) and I'd like to upgrade it to native IOS (finally :). I've looked at Cisco DocID 12031, which specifies on pg19 that it a good idea (although not required) to have a boot image of the IOS in the MSFC's bootflash. I do currently have the 12.1(22)E1 boot image there. My question is, when I upgrade to native IOS, do I still need the boot image after the conversion? It also looks like (via FN) up to the end of the 12.1 train that there were boot images available, and that in 12.2 train there were not... Is that true? I may be stuck on 12.1 anyways, looks like the 12.2 train increased the DRAM requirement to 256M (I only have 128M on the Sup2A's I have.)

And, does anyone know when the naming convention went from "c6sup22-" to "c6k222-"? The naming conventions sure are confusing...

Thanks!

Will

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Q about C6500 images (and names)

"My question is, when I upgrade to native IOS, do I still need the boot image after the conversion?"

No, that boot image is just a failsafe incase something bad goes wrong during the upgrade process.  In that case at the very least you could boot that image and be able to access flash, etc and try to resolve the issue.

4 REPLIES

Anyone?

"My question is, when I upgrade to native IOS, do I still need the boot image after the conversion?"

No, that boot image is just a failsafe incase something bad goes wrong during the upgrade process.  In that case at the very least you could boot that image and be able to access flash, etc and try to resolve the issue.

Does anyone know if the boot image IOS ver has to match the new native IOS ver? (I.e. can I just use the current boot img I now have on the MSFC?)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Purple

Doesn't have to match though they will always "recommend" that it does.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.