Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

QoS marking with a 2960

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on if what i'm trying to do is possible and point me in the right direction.

I have a 3 Cisco 2960PST-L switches running IOS 12.58 and there are two VLANs runnng over these, one for data and one for VOIP. The phones and call modules are marking their own traffic for calls which the switch are trusting and seeing and the trunks have been set to trust as well.

I now have a situation where there is a voicemail server which has voice packets delivered to it and this sits on the voice vlan, packets going between this server and the call module need to be marked and also treated as priority.

My initial thought was to create an ACL referencing the source and desintation IP address however as they will be on the same LAN these wont be wrapped up in an IP header. At the moment i cant see how to mark these packets on the 2960 switches. Would anyone know if i can mark packets that are going between these two devices only on the same LAN. I am reluctant to mark all packets that come into these interface as there are other types of traffic that come from this server which i dont want to have priority.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,

Rich

Everyone's tags (2)
2 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: QoS marking with a 2960

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

My initial thought was to create an ACL referencing the source and desintation IP address however as they will be on the same LAN these wont be wrapped up in an IP header. At the moment i cant see how to mark these packets on the 2960 switches. Would anyone know if i can mark packets that are going between these two devices only on the same LAN. I am reluctant to mark all packets that come into these interface as there are other types of traffic that come from this server which i dont want to have priority.

If you're using IP, there will still be an IP packet between hosts on the same network.

An ingress policy doesn't need to remark all packets.  You can remark just the packets of interest and pass the rest as they were.

Re: QoS marking with a 2960

Turns out I dont think i had an issue in the first place, I wasnt confirming what was going on properly so i thought i had an issue.

I had been looking at the #show mls qos int statistics output on the interface that I was marking at and have realised this will not increment unless it sees initial packets marked, looking at the destination interface and the counters for marked packets are now going up.

Thanks for your reply though.

Views
Helpful
Replies