Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Quality of service per connection and overall limit

Hello,

I think policing or shapping applies to the entire traffic going through the port.

How can i limit the speed per connection for instance

have 3 mb of overall available bandwidth with each client being able to take up 500kbps and if available all.

in this can what happens when the line is overloaded and client connection can not be guranteed to have 500kbps(50 connections each trying to download 500kbps at the same time on 6mbps) , does it go back to best effort delivery ?

many thanks

3 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: Quality of service per connection and overall limit

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, usually shaping or policing applies to aggregate flows.

An exception is microflow policing, available on 6500.  With that you can police individual flows.

In an example cases like you describe, where multiple flow aggregate bandwidth demand exceed available bandwidth, individual flows will compete for the bandwidth, and yes, that often would be considered "best effort".

Not withstanding the above, instead of worrying about policing individual users to some set amount of bandwidth, you might instead consider managing possible congestion by either allowing proportional sharing (a fair-queue approach) or by some kind of different service treatment based on the kind of traffic (e.g. real-time and/or interactive traffic gets priority to bandwidth over bulk data transfers).

Quality of service per connection and overall limit

thank for the reply and clarifying that only aggregate flows are policed and shapped on cisco device, at least not unless you get a top of the range device.

I am trying to configure this on asa 5505 and asa 5515x , I think they only have standard and priority queue and no option for WRED Red etc but just low latency queue , am i correct ?

basically what I am trying to avoid is one person hugging all of the available bandwidth and slow everyone else down for that specific protocol

Super Bronze

Re: Quality of service per connection and overall limit

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with ASA QoS capabilities.

Views
Helpful
Replies