cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Bandwidth and Delay

stevebybee
Level 1
Level 1

While out at a clients location adding VLans, I had noticed that all of the ports had Bandwidth 100000Kbit and Delay 1 usec added to them. Is there any benefit to this from other than it being defined in say Vlan1?

Thanks

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Steve,

these parameters have administrative nature and don't reflect the real performances.

They are used by routing protocols like EIGRP and OSPF to calculate the interface cost or metric.

They are used by Modular QoS as a reference for commands that use percentages of total bandwidth instead of an absolute rate.

In a Vlan context you should be fine with default values.

And of course these are attributes of each L3 interface for each SVI Vlan1, Vlan 2 and so on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Steve,

these parameters have administrative nature and don't reflect the real performances.

They are used by routing protocols like EIGRP and OSPF to calculate the interface cost or metric.

They are used by Modular QoS as a reference for commands that use percentages of total bandwidth instead of an absolute rate.

In a Vlan context you should be fine with default values.

And of course these are attributes of each L3 interface for each SVI Vlan1, Vlan 2 and so on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you.

Just for the sake of argument, is there any overhead in this type of situation if this is not being used as you defined?

I guess I just worry about the networks I work on even though those networks are not mine.

Hello Steve,

thanks for your kind remarks

>> is there any overhead in this type of situation if this is not being used as you defined?

Do you mean someone has modified the default values, or if there are other usage for them ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: