Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Question about management vlan

If I wanted a 99% isolated switch but would still like to access it via my management vlan what is the best way to do that?  A trunk that only allows my management vlan?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Question about management vlan

If you only want to allow one vlan on the trunk then don't use a trunk, just use an access port that is allocated to the same vlan at both ends. You don't have to use a trunk for management, it's just that normally you want to pass at least 2 vlans on the uplink, one for data and one for management. But if you are only passing management traffic like i say, just use an access port.

Jon

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

If you only want to allow one vlan on the trunk then don't use a trunk, just use an access port that is allocated to the same vlan at both ends. You don't have to use a trunk for management, it's just that normally you want to pass at least 2 vlans on the uplink, one for data and one for management. But if you are only passing management traffic like i say, just use an access port.

Jon

Thanks John.

Views
Helpful
Replies