cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about management vlan

the-lebowski
Level 4
Level 4

If I wanted a 99% isolated switch but would still like to access it via my management vlan what is the best way to do that?  A trunk that only allows my management vlan?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only want to allow one vlan on the trunk then don't use a trunk, just use an access port that is allocated to the same vlan at both ends. You don't have to use a trunk for management, it's just that normally you want to pass at least 2 vlans on the uplink, one for data and one for management. But if you are only passing management traffic like i say, just use an access port.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only want to allow one vlan on the trunk then don't use a trunk, just use an access port that is allocated to the same vlan at both ends. You don't have to use a trunk for management, it's just that normally you want to pass at least 2 vlans on the uplink, one for data and one for management. But if you are only passing management traffic like i say, just use an access port.

Jon

Thanks John.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card