cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on equipment needed for FoIP...

julienf28
Level 1
Level 1

We have different branch offices that are using Captaris Right Fax with the Brouktrout cards but we are planing to go FoIP very soon. I'm trying to gather some information as to what exactly I would need for the Cisco side. My branch offices are using Analog Trunk lines for the faxing. The VoIP is on the Megalinks (PRI) but all channels have been taken for the VoIP. My lack of expertise is how to connect the Analog trunks to the routers and what type of routers support the T.30 and T.38 protocol for FoIP.

Julien

9 Replies 9

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of router and IOS version is your PRI terminated.

The router with the PRI should be able to support T.38 (with 12.4 or 12.4T IOS software). And the Right Fax server (FoIP) solution is on the SR140 software where it is using H.323.

Regards,

jerry

Thats the thing, we can't use PRI for Faxing as they are Analog Trunks. I'm just trying to find out if it is possible to make Analog trunks go out with a specific router that supports T.38.

When you said analog trunks do you mean CT1 or bunch of POTS line?

Regards,

jerry

NOt sure what you meen with POTS but this is what i get from our CO when I enquired what type of lines are we using for faxing... (Telus DID trunks-Reseller) DID Trunk lines

Okay, POTS = Plan Old Telephone Service, which means 48V 1 pair copper line. What device and modules are you terminating the DID trunks right now?

Regards,

jerry

4 DID for incoming faxes are going to the Brooktrout TR1034+uP4D and the 4 Analogue for outgoing faxes are on a Brooktrout TR1034+PA-4L. I appreciate you helping me out in this matter,

Julien

Okay, if this is the case, you will need a voice gateway (2800 Series) router with FXO ports (to telephone company) and then you can run T.38 and H.323 on the voice gateway. On the Right Fax side, you need to get the license to use the SR140 driver (for FoIP, and H.323).

Regards,

jerry

Many thanks, for this solution. Would you be able to answer a few more questions about this project (if they come up of course).

Julien

If I know the answer, sure. :)

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card