Views
Helpful
Replies

Question RE: Cisco Catalyst 3560-E Default Gateway

Mdaly
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I am configuring a set of Cisco 3560-E Catalyst switches for a client. During the express setup configuration it has you type the router's ip address into the web browser. The default "10.0.0.1" gateway isn't assigned to my switches. My switches actually have an ip of "10.0.2.1".

My question is whether or not this is a normal occurance. If it is, is there any documentation online I can find to verify this? I've done a lot of google searches and I can't seem to find anything on my own and that's why I turn to you, community.

Thank you once again in advance for your time spent reading this and I look forward / anticipate your response(s).

Cheers,

Mdaly

6 Replies 6

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

I'm really not a fan of using the express setup.  It makes a lot of assumptions.

If you're able to console into the switch and do a setup via the command line (CLI) then I'd highly recommend that.

Feel free to post any questions about properly configuring via the CLI.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Ven,

Thank you for the swift response! The actual configuration isn't what's vexxing me. Before I send this to my client I was hoping to just confirm if anyone else had encountered the switch having a default gateway of "10.0.2.1".

If so, I was hoping to confirm that this is a normal occurance.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Mdaly

Any insight anyone?

Actually, no.  I've never seen that before either.  This doesn't sound like a brand new switch.

Write erase & reload should make it go away.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Mdaly

Whether 10.0.2.1 is normal (or correct) depends on what was specified for the addressing used in the switch. Since you did not tell us what addressing was used in the switch we are at a disadvantage in trying to tell you whether it is normal. Can you give us more information about what was specified for addressing on the switch?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Michael,

Is this switch a brand new one or a used one? If its a brand new one then it should only ask you to fill in the default GW field and not suggest any ip address to you. As you might be aware some other vendors use default GW for their low end boxes in the RFC 1918 range given that the LAN range will be one of them anyway.

But to answer your question, I haven't come across any cisco box by default showing up a default GW. Will see if others have seen what you are seeing

Regards

Kishore

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card