cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about Minfail state of module.

CATYO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there.

Questions about module state.

When some modules moved into Minfail state, Does it effect neighbor relasionship?

In my site, some modules in switch 6500 moveed into Minfail state coz the temperature range exceeded normal range.

But ospf neighbor relasionship didn't terminate. I couldn't find any changing of ospf neighbor relasionship in log.

Does it  mean even if module state moved into Minfail, It doesn't matter with routing protocol (because of  routing protocol precedense is 7)

If I was not correct,

please correct me.

How does it work when module is in Minfail state,

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
coz the temperature range exceeded normal range

Uhhhhh ... sorry, but what is happening to your chassis?

Just wondering. : )

I heard that if module state moved into MinFail(by temperature) it doesn't send data traffic.

But still ospf neighbor relasionship is up.

So I want to make sure that it doesn't send any data traffic or not.

Thank you

I heard that if module state moved into MinFail(by temperature) it doesn't send data traffic.

But still ospf neighbor relasionship is up.

So I want to make sure that it doesn't send any data traffic or not.

If environmental factors, such as the temperature of the room where the chassis is installed, exceeds a certain threshold limit, the chassis will start powering down some of the line cards in a bid of "self preservation". 

Bhishma Khanna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It is an expected behavior.

Right now the improtant thing is to verify that the airflow of the chassis is not blocked and check if the chassis fans are operational or not.

Minfail status gives you the warning that things are not fine but it is far away from the status "Major failure".

Please rate helpful posts. Thanks

Thanks your reply.

So you mean it doesn't send any data traffic except routing protocol. So it is still keeping neighbor relasionship.

Am I right?

Many thansk.

Best regards.

Hi,

I think even in the "minfail" status the interfaces would work correctly. Please check the show interface output.

When the temperature of module increases the status field of specific module gets triggered to "minfail".

Please rate helpful posts. Thanks

So you mean it doesn't send any data traffic except routing protocol. So it is still keeping neighbor relasionship.

When the temperature gets too hot, the supervisor will start to shut down line cards before it completely shuts down.  When this happens, NO DATA TRAFFIC passes.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card