cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick 4510R Uplink Question

Sighclops
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4510R Chassis with 2 SUP Vs (10-GEs). I have 2 24 port Gig Copper line cards and 6 48 port fastethernet line cards, filling my chassis. My question is:

Can I use a Gig Copper port on one of my 2 linecards as my main uplink to another switch or must I use a port on either of the SUPs?

Thanks,

Sigh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can I use a Gig Copper port on one of my 2 linecards as my main uplink to another switch or must I use a port on either of the SUPs?

You can use any available port as the uplink. It does not have to be the Supervisor port.

Regards,

Edison

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a 4510R Chassis with 2 SUP Vs (10-GEs). I have 2 24 port Gig Copper line cards and 6 48 port fastethernet line cards, filling my chassis. My question is:

Thanks,

Sigh

Hi Sigh,

We are using the same fashion in our data center for uplink connectivity with available gig copper for uplink connectivity with core switches.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use any available port as the uplink. It does not have to be the Supervisor port.

Regards,

Edison

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks,

Sigh

Hi Sigh,

We are using the same fashion in our data center for uplink connectivity with available gig copper for uplink connectivity with core switches.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

The ports on the SUP are meant to be uplink and i always use them untill and unless they are not used up. You can also use ports of the SUP which is standby as an uplink.

Refer this link for more info in Table 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps6033/product_data_sheet0900aecd801c5c66_ps4324_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts

Sighclops
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

Thanks for your posts. You have confirmed what i beleived to be the case. I just found it odd that cdp neighbor would work but i could not ping the active VLAN interface on the switch. Must be something else mising in the config. I will have to revisit.

i will post back up

Sigh

Sighclops
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I cannot seem to connect to this 4510 from anywhere except for the Core L3 4507s. I can ping from either 4507 but nothing else on the entire network.

I am using this 4510R primarily as a L2 Access switch. Can this be done??

I have set an Ip on an Vlan Int I created on the switch as we do any other access switch and set an "ip default-gateway" of the VLAN on our 4507s

Sighclops
Level 1
Level 1

Well i ended up having to add a route to this switch. Thought i could use this as a straight L2 switch

but i guess not.

Sigh

Hi Sigh,

Yes, you need to add a reverse route on the devices that are trying to reach to it from a different subnet. You can use this as a L2 switch they way you discribed.If you subnet is being advertised as a prt of the routing table then you should be able to reach to it, else you have to use the static route on the remote devices.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card