Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Quick IP SLA Question

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 75.1.1.1 1

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 75.1.1.1 1 track 1

Just a quick question, if I modified a config to include the IP SLA track and left the original default route, would the SLA be effective, or not? (See above)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Quick IP SLA Question

If you entered the commands:

conf t

!

You would just overwrite the the original static route with the same route using the ip sla tracking. As long as the tracking is true, the static route is used.

Re: Quick IP SLA Question

Sorry I stand corrected, I though it would overwrite the static route. I tried it out in my lab to see.  At any rate, if I understand what you are asking, then they way you can determine if the Tracked object is active is by using the following command:

show track 1

which the output would tell you you if it is active:

R1#show track 1

Track 1

Response Time Reporter 1 reachability

Reachability is Up

2 changes, last change 00:04:35

Latest operation return code: OK

Latest RTT (millisecs) 47

Tracked by:

STATIC-IP-ROUTING 0

However, usually you wouldn't use the same default route in this manner. Rather you would use 2 default routes. 1 being a backup that would become active if the tracked route wasn't reachable. You would give the untracked route a higher administrative distance so that it isn't used unless the tracked becomes unavailable.

On another note, if you are just tracking the next hop you can just make a floating route and not use tracking.

5 REPLIES

Quick IP SLA Question

I'm thinking it wouldn't be because it would still be injecting a default route with an AD of 1

Quick IP SLA Question

If you entered the commands:

conf t

!

You would just overwrite the the original static route with the same route using the ip sla tracking. As long as the tracking is true, the static route is used.

Right now in my running config I have both

Show route obviously shows a current default to 75.1.1.1, what I want to know is that since there are two entries shown in the running config, if the tracked route went down, because there is the other entry, would SLA failover to the other route.

I can try this when I am on a test network but right now this is live.

Sorry I stand corrected, I though it would overwrite the static route. I tried it out in my lab to see.  At any rate, if I understand what you are asking, then they way you can determine if the Tracked object is active is by using the following command:

show track 1

which the output would tell you you if it is active:

R1#show track 1

Track 1

Response Time Reporter 1 reachability

Reachability is Up

2 changes, last change 00:04:35

Latest operation return code: OK

Latest RTT (millisecs) 47

Tracked by:

STATIC-IP-ROUTING 0

However, usually you wouldn't use the same default route in this manner. Rather you would use 2 default routes. 1 being a backup that would become active if the tracked route wasn't reachable. You would give the untracked route a higher administrative distance so that it isn't used unless the tracked becomes unavailable.

On another note, if you are just tracking the next hop you can just make a floating route and not use tracking.

Quick IP SLA Question

I have another default route set up with a metric of 240 with all the rest of the SLA set up.

Sorry I think I'm answering my own question. If I had :

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 80.5.5.5 240

The tracked route may be removed but because there is still a route with an ad of 1, lower than 240, albeit identical to the tracked one, it would still prefer that route.

Sorry I didn't give all pertinent information.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content