cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"ip igmp filter" command on 2960G

mc-cdpearce
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to configure an interface using the "ip igmp filter <profile #>" command on a 2960G running 12.2(58)SE2. The switch allows me to create a profile using the "ip igmp profile <profile #>" global configuration command. It also lets me enable filtering with the global "ip igmp filter" command (which I didn't see in the documentation). But, the command is not accepted when configuring an interface. "ip igmp ?" does not even show "filter" as a valid auto-complete when in configure interface mode, and the command is rejected if I try to enter it.

Has anybody else run into this? I verified the command worked on a much earlier version of IOS, so it must have broken somewhere along the line. I'm wary of moving up to 15.0(1)SE. Is that a major IOS change? I don't want to introduce a myriad of other problems with a new version.

5 Replies 5

handoko wiyanto
Level 3
Level 3

hi Chris,

what is the 2960G series that youre using?

and what is the ios feature set?

regards,

Thanks for responding. I know that the documentation does not show a difference between 12.2(58)SE2 and 15.0(1)SE2 as far as the ip igmp filter command is concerned. I did go ahead and install version 15.0(1) and now the command works. I suspect it was just broken in 12.2(58). I verified the same problem on another of my switches running 12.2(58), however they were initially programmed from the same downloaded software image. I suppose it is possible that image was corrupted somehow, but it seems to work in every other respect.

For reference, these switches are WS-C2960G-24-TC-L running LAN Base.

I hope 15.0 doesn't have any nasty surprises in store for me.

Was it just superstition that Cisco skipped IOS 13? And pretending that it wasn't superstition that made them skip 14 as well?

hi Chris,

good to know that it works.

well, i think they skipped those numbers with the same reason with those guys who built hotel/apartment, they skipped some numbers

regards,

handoko wiyanto
Level 3
Level 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_58_se/release/notes/OL24337.html

IGMP  filtering is applied to packets that are forwarded through hardware. It  is not applied to packets that are forwarded through software. Hence,  with multicast routing enabled, the first few packets are sent from a  port even when IGMP filtering is set to deny those groups on that port.

There is no workaround. (CSCdy82818)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/15.0_1_se/release/notes/OL25301.html

IGMP  filtering is applied to packets that are forwarded through hardware. It  is not applied to packets that are forwarded through software. Hence,  with multicast routing enabled, the first few packets are sent from a  port even when IGMP filtering is set to deny those groups on that port.

There is no workaround. (CSCdy82818)

and after chechking the igmp feature on 12.2(58)SE2 and 15.0(1)SE2, looks like igmp feature are the same:

IGMP Fast Leave

IGMP Proxy

IGMP Querier

IGMP Snooping

IGMP Throttling

IGMP Version 1

IGMP Version 2

anyway, what ios version did you use earlier?

Sorry replied to your previous post instead of this one. See above...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card