cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"negotiation auto" issue

yuhsianghh
Level 1
Level 1

There is a problem about "negotiation auto" in Cisco ASR 901. The case is that I config my port in "negotiation-auto" on ASR901. If the-other-side device(non-Cisco) sets it's port in force-up/speed 100. My port will be nego-auto/100-half. From my understanding, Cisco device can set the dulpex to full only if other-side device also opens it's negotiation-auto function. Because if just only one side opens negotiation-auto function, there is no negotiation happens between two devices. The device that opens negotiation-auto function will use a basic dulpex setting which is half-duplex.

However, Some other guy told me that on non-Cisco they can make the port to be nego-auto/100-full-duplex even if the other side sets it's port in force-up/speed 100. So, Is it the Cisco character that It can only do a negotiation-auto and the port is in full-duplex if the other side opens it's negotiation-auto function? Otherwise, is my understanding  of negotiation-auto wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you have seen regarding auto-nego on one side and hard set on the other side resulting in 100/half is correct. This is not just Cisco, other switch vendors (e.g Juniper) devices behave the same way.

What is the no-Cisco switch you are connecting to?

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you have seen regarding auto-nego on one side and hard set on the other side resulting in 100/half is correct. This is not just Cisco, other switch vendors (e.g Juniper) devices behave the same way.

What is the no-Cisco switch you are connecting to?

HTH

Hi Reza

Thanks for your information. I am not sure which kind of switch ISP use to connect to my device. Maybe it is a D-link switch. However, I've found this on Wiki. I think this is a standard for the industry. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card