cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rapid-PVST vs. MST

griffijo
Level 1
Level 1

I have been using Rapid-PVST in my environment for several years and with good success. I've never really experienced any STP problems and RPVST has always worked as promised. I am getting ready to install equipment in some new facilities and I was considering MST instead of RPVST. I was looking for some feedback with respect to the pros and cons of MST vs. RPVST.

1 Reply 1

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Quick pros and cons, I might be forgetting some.

MST Pros:

- IEEE standard

- scales well in terms of number of vlans handled (only one bpdu sent per physical link, efficient in term of CPU utilization).

MST cons:

- need to maintain the MST configuration identical on all switches in order to keep them into a single region.

- topology changes advertised with the granularity of the instance (not the vlan). This will be fixed when MVRP is available.

- interaction with PVST is not obvious and honestly not recommended if you can avoid it.

Rapid-PVST pros:

- Obvious migration from PVST.

- No MST configuration to handle.

- Provides the convergence speed of MST in most cases.

Rapid-PVST cons:

- one STP instance is ran per vlan (not scalable).

- proprietary. Interaction with third party bridges is not as obvious as what most engineers think (not all topologies can be achieved for vlans != 1 for example).

- Probably not as future-proof as MST (new features are rather developed with MST in mind).

Regasds,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card