cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate-limits on a 6500/MSFC2 CatOS

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

I have an application that consumes most of the available WAN bandwidth during off-peak hours. Occasionally it runs on into peak hours and severely degrades WAN performance. The WAN router is SP managed, so I can not perform rate-limiting there.

Traffic from this application comes from a server connected to a WS-X6148A-TX port on the Cat and exits on a port on the same card to the SP managed router. The connection to the router is "routed" in that it is on a separate /30 Vlan than the user LAN traffic.

What I would like to do is rate-limit this traffic during prime time. What is the best way to enforce the rate limit? With a policer on the ingress interface? Some other method? Is there any way to make this time sensitive? If I were using IOS rather than CatOS, would this be easier?

1 Reply 1

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

Ok, I was able to configure a policer and apply it to ingress port 4/18 as follows:

set qos enable

set qos acl ip LIMIT-BACKUP-BW dscp 0 aggregate BACKUP-1mbps tcp any host 1.2.3.4

commit qos acl all

set qos policer aggregate BACKUP-1mbps rate 1000 policed-dscp erate 1000 drop burst 26 eburst 26

set qos acl map LIMIT-BACKUP-BW 4/18

This seems to work fairly well, and drops bandwidth consumption by this app close to 1 mbps.

Now, if I could just figure out how to make this time sensitive, I would be all set. Any ideas?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card