cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP/telnet with a MAC address

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Actually i know that we use IP address or hostname of the devices to connect remotley. So let's say i have a LAN

segment A with 200 PCs and mine PC1 at the far corner and i'm now at the 200th PC which is far away from my Pc. Let's say i forgot my PC name and as well as IP address now i can't go to my PC and check them but i've my MAC address.

So can i RDP/telnet or atleast speak to my PC with a mac address ?

Please don't mind if my question is worng.

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Telnet and RDP both use IP so you need an IP address or name(which will be resolved to IP) to use these protocols.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

HI Chandu,

Alain is right, RDP and telnet uses IP address.

Just for information:

go to START->RUN and type CMD or COMMAND and hit ENTER) and the type "arp -a" and you will get a list of IP addresses and MAC Addresses.

ARP was not designed to translate addresses in the other direction, however. There is no universal mechanism to determine an IP address given a known MAC address, although it can be done in certain specific situations.

ARP maintains a list of both IP addresses and matching MAC addresses called the "ARP cache.

This is one way to derive an IP address from a MAC address; however, the mechanism is limited in many respects.

On Windows and some other operating systems, the "arp" command provides access to the local ARP cache. In Windows, for example, typing "arp -a" at the command (DOS) prompt will display all of the entries in that computer's ARP cache. Depending on how that local network is configured, however, this cache will often remain empty. At best, a client device's ARP cache only contains entries for other computers on the LAN.

Also check this one:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4881848/is-there-a-command-in-powershell-to-get-the-ip-information-of-a-mac

Regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Telnet and RDP both use IP so you need an IP address or name(which will be resolved to IP) to use these protocols.

Regards

Alain

Yes, but i just wanna is there any possible way or any protocol that uses MAC instead of IP to communicate the devies or is it possible to communicate with MAC addresses.

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu

HI Chandu,

Alain is right, RDP and telnet uses IP address.

Just for information:

go to START->RUN and type CMD or COMMAND and hit ENTER) and the type "arp -a" and you will get a list of IP addresses and MAC Addresses.

ARP was not designed to translate addresses in the other direction, however. There is no universal mechanism to determine an IP address given a known MAC address, although it can be done in certain specific situations.

ARP maintains a list of both IP addresses and matching MAC addresses called the "ARP cache.

This is one way to derive an IP address from a MAC address; however, the mechanism is limited in many respects.

On Windows and some other operating systems, the "arp" command provides access to the local ARP cache. In Windows, for example, typing "arp -a" at the command (DOS) prompt will display all of the entries in that computer's ARP cache. Depending on how that local network is configured, however, this cache will often remain empty. At best, a client device's ARP cache only contains entries for other computers on the LAN.

Also check this one:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4881848/is-there-a-command-in-powershell-to-get-the-ip-information-of-a-mac

Regards

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the info.

-----------

ARP was not designed to translate addresses in the other direction,  however. There is no universal mechanism to determine an IP address  given a known MAC address, although it can be done in certain specific  situations.

-----------

If you don't mind can you explain in which type of situtation it will done.

Regards, Chandu

Hi,

RARP is a mechanism for getting IP address from RARP server( which has static MAC-IP mappings).

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc903.txt

Regards

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card