cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: Q on Configuring an Access_Switch ...

InternetB
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My question is that I am setting up a 3750 access switch. My management vlan is vlan 1 and I have one data vlan which is vlan 2. The default-gateway is the interface vlan ip of vlan 2

which is created on the distribution router.

Here is the config for this basic setup :-

-----------------------------------------3750 Access Switch

vlan 1

name Mgmt_Vlan

!

vlan 2

name Data_Vlan

!

!

int Vlan1

description *** Management Vlan ***

ip add 139.200.1.40 255.255.255.0

!

!

ip default-gateway 139.200.2.251 <<<<<<<<

-----------------------------------------

My question is would the above setup okay or do I need to change it to the ip of the interface vlan 1 on the distribution router ?

It should work but I would just like to double confirm this simple setup.

Thank you,

Cheers,

- InternetB -

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It should be the router address for vlan 1 . If using a default gateway make sure routing is turned off on the 3750 .

Hello Glen,

[1] Thank you for the post. The reason that the 3750 needs its gateway pointing to the interface of vlan 1 is because the SVI on the 3750 is on vlan 1/ same IP subnet ?

Just want to understand the logic.

Thank you,

Cheers,

- InternetB -

"The reason that the 3750 needs its gateway pointing to the interface of vlan 1 is because the SVI on the 3750 is on vlan 1/ same IP subnet ? "

Yes because the 3750 is only acting as a L2 device you can only have vlan interface in use and that should be for management. So this vlan 1 interface is used purely to gain access to the switch and not for any user data. The default-gateway is needed so you can remotely telnet into the switch.

Note as a side issue Cisco recommends using a vlan other than vlan 1 for managing your switches. It's not vital so don't worry, it's just best practice.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card