Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended Data Centre Rack Switch

mikedelafield
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys

Within the latest Cisco range I am looking for a switch recommended for mid range low throughput use in a data centre rack (non core).

Can anyone make any recommendations even if they are within different price ranges.

I hope you can help!

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I would suggest 2960S-48FPS-L switches as...

These switches comes with 24 or 48 ports of Gigabit Ethernet.
PoE+ with up to 30W per port that allows you to support the latest PoE+ capable devices
Dual-purpose uplinks for Gigabit Ethernet uplink flexibility, allowing use of either a copper or fiber uplink. This will allow for mesh kind of connectivity to core / distribution switces.

If you have larger VM environment then as a choice look for 1000 or later nexus switches.

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

okay thanks for the advice

we probably don't require the PoE, but I will look at the non PoE in this range

another requirement I missed was dual power ideally

do you know which would be an equivilient with dual power in this regard?

Hmmm, 2960 series switches doesnt support dual power supply.
If you must need dual power suply then go for 3750-X or 3560-X series switches.

These switches also comes with 48 10/100/1000 PoE+ or non-PoE models.
Dual redundant, modular power supplies and fans

Regards,
Naidu.

I'm not 100% sure if the 2900 series has a RPS port, but i'd recommend the 3500 series switches - they're just a little more feature rich than the 2900 series gear, and has Layer-3 routing capabilities and can support PoE also (honestly, the cost of used 2900/3500 is very comprable); This model would give you great room for growth/expansion without upgrading the hardware.

In response if your dual power supplies.  TRUE "Dual" power supplies don't really come into play until you get into the module chassis line of Cisco switches (4500, 5500, 6500, etc)  This have the ability to use two power supplies in the chassis and hot-swapability.

The non-modular chassis have only ONE power suppply but has a RPS port, which can you attach an external power supply unit which provides power to the switch if the primary power supply fails.

Thanks,

Sean Brown

http://www.sleepyshark.com

Okay thanks guys

I was looking at the 3560-X switches actually already

It sounds like they might fit the bill

To confirm these are RPS based dual power or native dual power?

These are RPS based dual power supply switches.
The XPS 2200 is the next-generation redundant power system (RPS). It not only provides the functionalities offered by the RPS but also provides enhanced services with the support for Cisco StackPower technology. When used with the Cisco Catalyst 3560-X, it provides RPS functionality, but when used with the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X, it provides StackPower functionality to all the stack members, including power supply redundancy.

The XPS supports dual redundant power supplies and fans. Up to nine switches can be connected to the XPS 2200, and it can provide power backup to two of the failed switches concurrently (when appropriately sized power supplies are used). The power supplies used by the XPS 2200 are the same as the ones supported in the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series Switches. The XPS 2200 is fully configurable for setting switch priorities in case of multiple failures

Regards,
Naidu.

Okay thanks for the reply, but it does look natively dual power in this artcile and photograph

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

I will investigate a little further

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: