cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recomondation about stacking 2960S

pd.politiet.no
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just wanted to ask about how you guys out there would recommend stacking 2960G for this setup:

I have a location that needs 3x48ports 2960S and 3x24ports 2960S. I could also go for 4x48ports and 2 24ports, but if you have any better suggestions pleas let me know.

I plan stacking 3x48ports and 3x24ports, and use etherchannel between the stacks. Would you guys recommend this or would you do different?

Like stacking 2x48 ports and 1x24ports in one stack, 1x48ports and 2x24ports in the other stack (or maybe just go for 2x48ports in a stack instead)?

Btw, can 24 and 48 ports be stacked together?

I will use etherchannel between the stacks.

Why 2960S? It satisfies my needs for switches at the location.

Br

Geir

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can stack any 2960S together BUT up to 4 switches in a stack.

They must all share the same IOS version and the same feature set.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you ... sorry.  Wrong lines.  He he he ...

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Geir,

There is no restriction in having 24-port and 48-port switches in a stack. All the switches in the stack must be 2960S.

Personally, I do not have preference/recommendation of stacking 3x48and 3x24 or  3x48+1x24 and 1x48+2x24, as the total numbers of ports are going to be the same. I assumed these devices are going to be layer2 and have etherchannel between them.

- Yogesh

Thanks, that clarifies my Q about the 2960S stacking. 

Br

Geir

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card