cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recover Deleted Configurations

jason_lacher
Level 1
Level 1

I am removing configurations off of old cisco switches. Is there possibly a way to recover a configuration after it has been deleted? Is there a special procedure for cleaning switches so that nobody can recover old data?

8 Replies 8

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

U can backup ur configuration to the tftp server.after removing the configurations u an still restore them from tftp server.

u can erase u r nvram to permanently delte the configuration.

Thanks

Mahmood

I don't need to keep the configurations, I want to make sure that nobody else can recover them.

Hi

Just erase ur nvram and reload the switches.the switch is going to factory default settings.No one will be able to recover it.

Thanks

Mahmood

Thanks Mahmood.

I was pretty sure that by erasing the file nobody would be able to recover any of the old configurations. I just wanted to make sure.

situwayne
Level 1
Level 1

If you switch support this command.

"no service password-recovery"

I would check flash, bootflash,slot0, disk 0 etc and make sure no one saved any configs in there , if they did then you must delete and squeeze if needed . Write erase will get rid of the current config but a lot of times people will download configs in flash for different reasons .

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

Write erase should permanently dump configuration stored in nvram.

If you need to wipe configurations/files that were stored to flash you should use the squeeze command.

squeeze device: (Example, flash:)

That is, once the files have been deleted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card