cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering the IOS image on 2611XM (detailed)

JohnAhringer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently a student in high school working with routers in my networking class. I made a mistake and plugged the console cable into the AUX port when I was setting up the routers. Another student using the router performed the erase/reload commands and now the router is stuck in rommon. The IOS image is completely gone and nothing is on flash. I found directions on how to download a new IOS image onto the router using the tftpdnld command using the first LAN port ONLY(thank goodness we have a tftp server in class). I set all of the required variables, making sure the IP of the router and TFTP server are on the same subnet. I connected the router to the computer using a crossover cable on the fast ethernet 0/0. Whenever I do this, there is an orange light on the back of the TFTP server and I can never ping the router from the TFTP server. When I plug the crossover cable into the second ethernet (fast ethernet 0/1 I believe) there is a green light on the back of the TFTP server, but I still cannot ping. My variables are set as follows:

IP_ADDRESS= 10.185.215.6

IP_SUBNET_MASK= 255.255.248.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY= 10.185.208.1

TFTP_SERVER=10.185.215.5

TFTP_FILE= (whatever the file name is)

(I've also tried other settings for the gateway such as using the TFTP server for this part. 10.185.208.1 is the gateway for our room, but I am connected directly to the TFPT server with the router, so that gateway shouldn't even apply. Maybe this is where I messed up?)

Maybe the fast ethernet port is not configured properly? I'm not very knowledgeable with routers yet, as we are just starting them. My teacher is making me fix the problem and use the router, so I cannot progress until this is fixed. Also, I don't know much about TFTP servers or how they work.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

you also need:

tftpdnld

Also, you should use the first LAN port (fe0/0

HTH

Reza

I've used the command tftpdnld, but it always times out. It says that the ARP request failed with error code 1. Is there something I have to do on the TFTP server? (We're current using the cisco TFTP application) The only thing I know is that you should (i think) have the TFTP application running. And I have the root directory set up correctly.

My main problem is that I cannot get a connection between the server and the router. No matter what I do, I cannot ping, which means I cannot use the tftpdnld command. I don't know if there's an error in my variables, or if I should connect the two devices in a different way.

Thanks.

YANGCCIE4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Since you can connect through Console or AUX port ,there are another option , you can use the hyper terminal software in your windows, and setup a COMxx-Console connection, on the top of the menu, there are a option "send file" , you can sent the ios file from your computer to the routers.

Hope this help

Yang

It's worth a try, I'll see what I can do when I go back to school on Monday. Any other suggestions would be great, thanks.

If you have to use Xmodem, make sure you change the baud rate to 115200 to speed up the download time if not, with default 9600, it takes a very long time to load

HTH

Reza

Could configuring your router in the AUX port (when it's supposed to be in the console port) through the COM port on the computer (using a terminal adapter) with a rollover cable cause permanent damage to the router? I don't see how this could happen, although I don't know how the router would respond to this.

Also, my main problem is connectivity. I have all of my variables on the router set correctly and the physical connection is correct as well, yet I cannot ping. Does anyone notice a flaw in my work?

I am also facing the same problem with my Cisco 2611XM Router. I deleted my image file from flash and reload and since then router is booting in ROMMON mode. After trying all the process to install IOS image using Solarwind TFTP server on laptop i failed to install it, even after applying all steps correctly. 

Then i was checking all the steps i found that network adapter is showing me that no packet was received by laptop and numbers were showing in sent packets. So i understood that the problem is the connectivity issue between router and laptop. I have connected cross cable with fa 0/0 on router and one end with laptop LAN port and one connection is between Console of router and usb port of my laptop.

To make sure on this i tried ping command on cmd and i failed to ping my router but was ping TFTP server. Below are my Commands used in this process :-

IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.2

IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

TFTP_SERVER=192.168.1.2

TFTP_FILE=c2600-i-mz.123-9.bin
tftpdnld...........

The process didn't even initiate and the message was shown this......

ARP: address resolution for 192.168.1.2 timed out.

ARP failed with failure code 1.  TFTP transfer aborted.

TFTP: Operation terminated prematurely.

I also turned off my firewall also but still there was not difference.

I just want to know that is this the problem because of rommon mode like this usually happens or something else?  any advice or help will appreciated. 

Regards

Prateek Sharma

India

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card