cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

redistributing routes

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get up to speed on routes redistribution and wondering if someone please shed the light on the following...

We have 2 routers (A & B) that are directly connected. Both are running BGP & OSPF and are in the same AS. One of the routers (B) is connected to the customer router (C) on another interface. The router B redistributes routes as "redistribute connected". Because the routers A & B are in the same AS, I would expect to see the routes from the customer router on router A being redistributed over OSPF as opposed to BGP. Yet, when I do sh ip route, the route is shown via BGP....

What gives?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

mahesh-gohil
Level 1
Level 1

Can u provide config done under bgp and ospf (for redistribution)for A and B router so picture will be more clear and u will get help from others

regards

Greg

I feel like I must have missed something in your post. As I understand it router B connects to the customer router and router B does redistribute connected. Why would you expect that to send the customer routes over OSPF? Redistribute connected will insert the subnets of the connected interfaces into the protocol advertisement but not routes learned from some neighbor. If I have missed something perhaps you can clarify.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick - thanks for your response. As always, u r right on the money...What I believe might have happened is the mix-up between "directy" redistribute connected routes and "indirectly" redistribute connected routes into the routing protocols. Thanks again for pointing this out...

When you use "sh ip route", it will show the preferred path which has lower metric. Try to use "sh ip ospf data" to verify the OSPF routes or "sh ip bgp" to verify the BGP routes.

You only add the interface subnet to the routing protocol by "redistibuted connected" and not enable the routing protocol at those interface if there is no corresponding network commands.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card