Replies

Redistributing via eigrp 90 - question

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

Good Morning!.

I have this setup .

Router BB   is running EIGRP and is connected directly connected to Router 2650XM.

They connect by serial interface and running EIGRP.

Also Router 2650XM connects to rest of network using OSPF.

Router 2650XM is boundary router doing redistribution ---OSPF into BB  router and EIGRP routes to rest of network.

When i do sh ip route on BB  router

BB#sh ip route 10.1.24.2
Routing entry for 10.1.24.0/30
  Known via "connected", distance 0, metric 0 (connected, via interface)
  Redistributing via eigrp 90************************************************************?????????????????????????????
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  * directly connected, via Serial0/0
      Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

BB#sh ip eigrp nei
IP-EIGRP neighbors for process 90
H   Address                 Interface       Hold Uptime   SRTT   RTO  Q  Seq
                                            (sec)         (ms)       Cnt Num
0   10.1.24.2               Se0/0             14 5d13h       1   200  0  158

My question is when i do sh ip route 10.1.24.2  why does it show  redistributing via eigrp 90???????????

as this is directly connected route to 2650XM Router?

Thanks

Mahesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh

I can tell you that this is a common behavior but I do not have a good explanation of why it says redistributing via eigrp when it is a connected network being advertised throgh eigrp. Perhaps one of the Cisco engineers has an explanation of why it says this. But I believe that if you do show ip route for any connected interface prefix that is advertised by a network statement in eigrp that you will see the same thing of redistributing via eigrp.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Hi Mahesh,

That is because the default route is redistributed to EIGRP and that is why you see 170 (External) after 0.0.0.0

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh

I can tell you that this is a common behavior but I do not have a good explanation of why it says redistributing via eigrp when it is a connected network being advertised throgh eigrp. Perhaps one of the Cisco engineers has an explanation of why it says this. But I believe that if you do show ip route for any connected interface prefix that is advertised by a network statement in eigrp that you will see the same thing of redistributing via eigrp.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

thanks for reply.

I checked this--- show ip route for any connected interface prefix that is advertised by a network statement in eigrp that you will see the same thing of redistributing via eigrp.

You were right on this it shows all as redistributing via eigrp.

Regards

MAhesh

Rick,

I agree, this is so weird.  When the route is Internal, it shows it as redistributed.  The only explanation I can see is when you look at the topology, it says:

Known via "connected", distance 0, metric 0 (connected, via interface)

So, I guess EIGRP thinks since the route originally is known via connected, and now since you added it to EIGRP, this is a redistribution, but the metric is still 90.

Thanks,

Reza

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mahesh,

Since this interface is part of EIGRP, as far as EIGRP KNOWS the admin distance is 90 (internal) which is correct, but your routing table shows as connected.

If you redistribute a static route or from other protocols to EIGRP, than the admin would be 170 (external).

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks for reply

I did sh ip route

C       10.1.24.0/30 is directly connected, Serial0/0

It shows as connected  with no admin distance that makes sense as it is directly connected and AD is 0 for directly connected.

But when i do sh ip route on BB  at bottom it shows

D*EX 0.0.0.0/0 [170/26137600] via 10.1.24.2, 00:00:04, Serial0/0

i know 10.124.2 is my default route .

But do you know why it shows D.EX   there?

Thanks

MAhesh

Hi Mahesh,

That is because the default route is redistributed to EIGRP and that is why you see 170 (External) after 0.0.0.0

HTH

Hi Rick and Reza,

Many thanks for you replies.

Regards

MAhesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card